Episode 101 'Who are these... Portuguese?'

For the full experience, please click play below:



Yesterday... [This is not today]

How has 2020 become 2021 so quickly? [this was my original opening when I first embarked upon this entry. That was four months ago]. The current star date: 09/01/2022. The fact is that 2021 did happen so quickly. And now it's too late! I genuinely spent 10 minutes trying to fathom what year it was on my first day back at work after the New Year. Anyway, I digress.

My initial thoughts are that I am perhaps too apathetic with my blog posts, leading me down a dark path of neglect and carelessness. Although we each of us consider that lazy side of us, I must power through with my explanation of 'there simply isn't enough time!'

Moving to Portugal has given me a plethora of tales and woes, journeys and misgivings, creative fortunes and artistic delights. But my inspiration to continue with this blog has waned over the years, at a time when it conceivably means more to express what we are all going through. Ironic, yes; understandable, perhaps; excusable... NEVER!

I made a solemn vow to continue my travels and artistic ventures through the medium of my blog, however old-fangled and outdated the format may be. So strap in folks; it's an old rollercoaster. They don't make 'em like they used to!









Present day... [This is today]

"I have COVID. Again. It fucking sucks."

The truth of the matter is that nobody was prepared for the past couple of years. It doesn't matter what you believe in, whether you a pro-this or anti-that. We are all in the same boat that is Planet Earth, and she has taken her first steps in reminding us how fragile and full of wrath she can be. I was watching Wes Andersons' Isle of Dogs recently and chuckled at the similarities between a corrupt Government and an island of infected creatures with scientists desperately find a cure for the outbreak of canine influenza. Hey! If I am to talk about current affairs then you'll be damn sure I will make a reference to animation or Star Wars.  


Tomorrow... [1. denial]

"I don't have COVID. I couldn't possibly have it again?! Get away from me!"

Living in Portugal has given me some idea of purpose, with the closest sense of destiny that I could ever encounter. Dramatic? Well, you'd better believe it buster because the chances of me getting the job at Sardinha em Lata Animation Studio in Lisbon were slimmer than a stick insect's waistline. It began with a message from Sergio Lara - a fine animator and fellow Star Wars enthusiast - who saw that I had arrived in Lisbon (September 2020). Upon giving me the email address of one of the producers, I decided that I had nothing to lose and sent a terribly informal (and perhaps far too casual) email to this chap at the studio. 

After a couple of days I received an email (albeit in my junk box) asking me to visit the studio. I could not believe my luck! And so with a hop, skip and a jump I mapped out my route and arrived at the studio in my Sunday best. The tour of this wonderful little studio was quite a blur with many new faces, sets, models and graphics to take in. But incredibly, I felt like Luke Skywalker when he began exploring Dagobah and thinking that there's something familiar about this place*. The energy within the studio was teeming with creative life. 'Os Demonios do meu Avo' had already been in production for almost a year with many of the beautiful sets and props already constructed, sculpted and painted. Every shelf, desk, cupboard and table was filled with models of scaled down buildings, character maquettes, foliage examples, surface texture tests, boxes of Das modelling clay (the official material sponsor of the film) and hundred of tiny props sprawled across the vista. I felt right at home. 

*for the record, I am not comparing Sardinha em Lata to the slimy mudhole that is Dagobah.

After trying to convince the team of my skills using nought but my blog and Instagram page (after forgetting to bring any kind of show reel or portfolio with me, assuming that this was merely a studio visit. Such a plonker) I departed feeling very happy albeit a little sheepish. Scrolling through Instagram to show choice photographs of my work became rather embarrassing after flicking past the likes of my cosplay Shredder and collection of beer mats (as proud as I am). 


One ticket please...

Fast forward a week... [don't panic; same chapter]

I am sitting outside The Cask (soon to close down due to a pandemonium) supping one of its fine ales. I have a pile of poorly assembled CVs that highlight how little bar experience I actually have. To help mask this, I enlarged my logo and date of birth.
    The time is 15:35 and I have spent most of the day avoiding the inevitable distribution of these blasted things. Should I check my emails? *finishes drink* Yes alright then. But alas, nothing. Should I check my junk mail? Well cripes, I've come this far. Oh, what's this? An email from the studio; how did it wind up in my junk mail? It's a job offer..... they want me to begin next week. OH HUZZAH!!! BAR KEEP, I WILL ORDER ONE OF YOUR FINEST ALES. CANECA? POR FAVOR!



The Day after Tomorrow... [2. anger]

"I cannot believe I have stupid COVID. I am sat here ON MY BUTT fuming because I feel fine!"

My tried and tested anger management scheme is usually in the form of sarcastic and passive aggressive emails to my local council in regards to the likes of binmen troubles and unjust parking tickets. Since moving to Lisbon, the scheme continues (still with unsuccessful results). Unfortunately, the bureaucracy here is rather slow (being a country that thrives on living in the past) where contacting the right department and the right people in regards to any general administration seems to be nigh on impossible. This has placed me in a strange sense of limbo. And being extraordinarily good at performing the limbo, you can imagine how confusing this has become for me. 
    Keeping the Rebel Scum in the city has been an endless battle. To attain a parking permit is the equivalent of trying to email the One Ring to Mordor. It's just quest upon quest! When we first moved here I managed to find a cosy little residential car park about 15 minutes walk from the apartment in Alfama. This became the home of the van for the following six months. Keep it secret. Keep it safe.

Luckily enough, 'the man' hasn't affected my work. I feel fully integrated at Sardinha em Lata and I feel very honoured to be part of the team. This production is going to be big. It already is huge!








The Next Day... [3. bargaining]

"I will trade you some Lego for a negative test. Please. I NEED TO GET OUT OF HERE!. I could throw in a couple of euros too?!"

Lisbon is a great and beautiful city. But the rent was simply too much and quite unrealistic for the long haul. Therefore, Lucy and I moved down the coast to Paco de Arcos in Oeiras. A sleepy little town sandwiched between the railway tracks and fisherman coves, Paco is far removed from the city life. But what it lacks in large cobbled plazas filled with trendy bars and coffee shops, vibrant energy and people of the same age, it makes up for in simply being a beach bum. 




The view from the new apartment is like stepping into a postcard. The kind of picture that you unfortunately grow to resent; whether it's been posted from Morocco by your Aunt or that person from high school who you never spoke to but was adamant in becoming Facebook friends ten years later. Regardless to say, I feel terribly lucky to be blogging from the balcony of my Portuguese apartment overlooking nothing but vibrant orange rooftops, lush green palms and an ocean of the deepest blue since Deepest Blue released their debut single "Deepest Blue". 

"The sangria is complimentary. It comes with the sunset"  Thomas Grainger, June 2021


Is it Friday yet?... [4. depression]

"I am unofficially COVID free! This is marvellous news and I can now... erm.... remain in isolation for another couple of days. Oh. Brilliant."

Ladies and gentlemen welcome to the third apartment that we have lived in since moving to Lisbon, Portugal. I thoroughly enjoyed the beach life in Paco and the beautiful commute along the coastal track, before descending into the dark depths of the studio (don't worry, it's part of the job), however, it was the city vibes that we truly missed. 
    And lo! Our heroes returned to the area known as Santos. And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs and sloth, and carp and anchovies, and orangutans and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats and large chu... oops, I shall skip a bit here. 
    It was great to be back in the city. You can literally feel the energy each day with streets brimming with excitement and colour. There are so many cool spaces, bars, centres and co-working spots that cater for a young and sexy couple who enjoy new ventures. Heck, I even started life drawing again! 





Then the production of  'Os Demonios do meu Avo' grew even bigger. This meant that the shoot needed a larger space for the set pieces due to the scale, being unable to fit inside Sardinha em Lata [original]. And thus Prior Velho was founded. The team transformed an old warehouse, situated outside the city limits, into a fully functioning animation studio in an incredibly short period of time.
    I would choose to drive the Rebel Scum to work this time, and not use public transport. COVID is still running rife and although Portugal feels like one of the safest places in the world right now (people love wearing masks and giving their full respects to the community - much like Tusken Raiders**) I would not like to take my chances on a busy bus. In fact, even after taking all the necessary precautions I still caught the bloody virus AGAIN. Hush Thomas, remember the steps. What's the next one, acceptance?


**for the record, I am not comparing the Portuguese to a fictional race of desert dwellers 


The Weekend... [5. acceptance]

"I am one with the Force. And the Force is with me"

This will be Portugal's first feature length animated film and I am blessed to be a part of it. Can you believe that? First animated feature; I think that's right (please don't quote me). I have never worked on a feature anything before. This is where destiny steps in. I honestly thought that after leaving Factory Create in Manchester and went galivanting off in the van that I would never return to the animation world again. At least for the moment. Fate, my old friend, bon jour!
    I have made amazing new friends and colleagues (both are one and the same) and continued to learn and adapt my skills as not only a set dresser and prop maker, but a stop motion rigger. I could not have done this without my partner in crime and co pilot of Rig Squadron, Goncalo. A very wise man who has taught me that there is no try; and so I strive to only do






Rig Leader and Rig Five standing by...



One of the larger sets with aerial rig and green screen surroundings.



The village in scale 2 with motion control camera for some of the more dynamic shots.

The Past... [for balance; 14 Months Earlier]

WHAT THE HELL ARE WE GOING TO DO FOR MONEY? WHERE ARE WE GOING TO LIVE? I DON'T HAVE A JOB IN LISBON, HOW AM I GOING TO AFFORD ANYTHING? WHAT ABOUT THE VAN? WHO EVEN AM I?!


Don't worry Thomas. I am sure everything will work out just fine... 







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 105 'Back to the Future'

Episode 108 'A coleção de Lisboa'

Episode 107 'Exhibition of the Mind'