Episode 98 'International Van of Mystery'

I BOUGHT A VAN.

Yes, I bought a van.

most regular looking van (from the outside) but when you venture within, my goodness, the beauty and potential. A stove, a sink, a fold out double(ish) bed, lights, additional battery for power and very decent storage space. It just needed a little TLC (hey, I don't want no scrubs) and this baby will become so comfortable that you can shake a gear stick at it. 

I was scrolling through Gumtree, as I wanted to keep things relatively cheap, and Autotrader was a little out of my league. And by a stroke of good fortune I managed to whip up a conversation with a local seller - lovely Bernadette - who invited me over for a van viewing. 



The van was parked on her drive, a Vauxhall Vivaro, covered in carbon scoring and dust. What a heap of junk, a voice was telling me, but she'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but I bet she's got it where it counts. Bernadette watched as my inner debate clearly showed on my expressive face. There was a window of opportunity where I had to say something quite drastic. I was weighing up my current options, along with the knowledge that another potential buyer would be visiting the following day. 
    Call it panic buying, intuition or a matter of foresight but I had to have this ship van. I felt just like Captain Malcolm Reynolds when he first laid eyes upon the Firefly class transport ship and could see the potential that would be Serenity. 

The Vauxhall Vivaro would be my Serenity. 


After the deal was struck and the paperwork complete, I was driving the Vivaro with no regrets or second thoughts. Owning a van felt more than a new vehicle with surplus space for tools and a bed; this was an extension of my adventurous spirit. What more do you need if you continuously hanker to travel the globe, but without the limitations of a return flight or accommodation problems? It seemed too obvious a life choice for me. 




I built and installed a storage compartment, a bookshelf and various homely supplements (like a pin board, picture frames and jar holders, painted the inside, added some comfy trims, scatter pillows and slowly but surely began to truly personalise my new van. 

And yes, of course there would be a logo on the side...


I added my own little spin on the design,
just a few simple lines. 

 
The freedom that the van offered us made our plan to leave the UK much simpler. It proved to be more advantageous; for example, we were able to pack slightly more than if we took a flight to Lisbon. Of course, the major advantage was the idea of driving through Europe on our own terms (respecting the highway code) and parking up where we pleased. We booked a ferry, which seemed to be no hassle despite these uncertain COVID times, and thus gave us a departure date to plan towards.
    I handed in my notice at work, with much sadness might I add. This animation studio has been like a second home to me, continuously welcoming me back for work on so many amazing productions. I cannot thank Factory Create enough for what they have given me in regards to experience, knowledge and love for the industry. Perhaps one day I shall return, if they'll have me!
    Our parting was of the same bittersweet farewell that Galadriel gave to the fellowship after their departure from Lothlorien. Gifts were given - from Lorna, a tiny potted succulent; from James, a cuddly Yoda; and from Dick, a lovely bottle of rum. The crew all chipped in some euros which was put towards the first full tank of diesel on the continent. Thank you so much guys, you genuinely aided #vanlife from Dieppe to Bordeaux (along with a couple of bottles of delicious red wine).




Driving the van was not a challenge in the slightest. I love to drive them, and feel very comfortable at doing so. Whilst working at the BBC over the years there was always a need for an Art Department van, and for some reason I was usually the guy who drove it most frequently. This was certainly not a bother! I really enjoyed driving these things, although I think a Luton might be the limit of my capabilities. I ought not to admit this but my spatial awareness upon driving a Luton was not quite up to scratch in the beginning. I shall only say this; my need to go to Tesco (and park in the multi storey car park) was more than my negotiations with the height restrictions. 

*crunch*
  
Ha... ooops? Anyway, the time was near and final preparations were being made to leave Bramhall Lane. We had some really great sessions with 'the Massive' leading up to the departure date, which only made us a little sadder for leaving. But our path had been chosen and #vanlife was only a week away. The new tenants would be moving in, with the estate agents taking full care of our property (myself and Lucy are now Landlord and lady - I couldn't think of a more appropriate reason to wear a top hat). So even with a sudden change of heart, it was not possible to stay in the house (at least, without some expensive ramifications!). We were homeless! But not vanless.


A glimpse in to the future. This is the coastline
of north Spain. But more of that later!




I like to name my cars. Most of them have had a Star Wars related title, for example, my blue Renault Clio (covered in graffiti and rust) was called the Rebel Scum. There was a Mark II of the same name in the following years. My Seat Ibiza was named The Turquoise Taco after its colour and 'salsa' edition branded on the side. That has no Star Wars reference, but everybody loves tacos. 
    When it came to naming the van, it was inevitable that my mind strayed once more into the realms of geekdom where I bandied about words, quotes or vehicle/star ship names to find one that suited. I even made a mind-map of possibility (I would like to coin that phrase, actually *scribbles down*). 

The van now has a name. But it has no Sci-fi reference or legendary branding. Her name is Viv...

Guess who named her?

Yes it was Lucy. At the time I believed my eyerolling could be seen from space, but after a couple of days the name genuinely grew on me. Viv the Vauxhall Vivaro. Simple hey?  


  


Viv is a 2.0 litre Diesel, medium wheel based van with a few scrapes around her bumper and a flux capacitor that I have yet to discover. She can reach 88 miles per hour with 21 seconds to go, and is not a heap of junk. After the service revealed that she was relatively fit for purpose, I knew that she could handle the 2,500 mile trip to Lisbon. If any problems were to arise, there was no indication of that happening now - this was the honeymoon period and Viv was all dressed in white and totally rocking it. 


My God Daughter wrote and
illustrated a book about our
van adventures. She is very
good at capturing the 'mad 
artist' in me.


So we drove off. We left the comfort of our house and the stability of good jobs to find a new life in Portugal. The plan was to live in the van for an epic road trip, to explore coastlines and national parks, to try the local foods and immerse ourselves into a new life style. One far less complicated and stressful and taking only what we needed with us. I took a frustratingly small tool box (many of my jobs involve working from at least two big boxes - to compress my skillset into a lunchbox was quite a task) and stuffed it underneath the drivers seat. I took my sketchbooks, paints and illustrating materials with me, alongside my digital SLR camera and laptop. 
    I cannot express how difficult it is to downsize, especially if your work is primarily art department based. But at the same time it was incredibly refreshing to shed ones self of excessive things and stuff that have become a burden over the years. I would obviously be taking my lightsaber and various trinkets, gadgets or toys. I cannot function without at least one Star Wars figure in my presence. 




The above photograph shows our general #vanlife set up. This would be our home for the next couple of months (providing that we agreed to settle in Lisbon, or indeed keep travelling). The gazebo was our alternative to the expensive awning that can be attached to the side of the van. It made more sense to use the gazebo, as it became like an additional room for relaxing in and also preparing food. Long term camping was my angle throughout all of this. 

We could always pick up things along the way. But perhaps not hitchhikers. I am, however, very excited to read their guide to the galaxy (one of five books I ruthlessly chose to accompany me). One space was given to my bird book, of which I had hoped to tick off some new and unusual birds along the journey. Unfortunately, after a week, I realised that it was a British garden birds book, with the odd European migrant. Pretty bloody useless in the vast wilds of northern Spain!

*starts ignition*

I am sure that Mum can post me some more books. Can I buy English speaking books in Portugal? Oh shit, did I pack the Marmite? Yes, thank god. 

*waves farewell to the Bramhall Lane Massive*

What about a shirt and tie for interviews? What am I going to wear if we go clubbing? I didn't pack any shoes!

*Beep Beep*

Did I check the tyre pressure? And pack enough socks?!! Flip, I need to turn back...

*doesn't turn back*

Oh god

*keeps going*

This is real

*sees the horizon*

3,2,1 Let's Jam

*see you Space Cowboy*

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 105 'Back to the Future'

Episode 108 'A coleção de Lisboa'

Episode 107 'Exhibition of the Mind'