Episode 96 'A New Introduction'

Every ounce of my creative little mind wants to begin this journey with an inspirational moment; an epiphany, if you will, or a turning point in my life that led me to buying a van and leave the UK. But life is full of little inspirational moments, building up over time, and even though this decision was really quite radical I don't think anybody was surprised about it. My life was always leading to this. To #vanlife.


Yes ladies and gentlemen, I have laid down a hashtag within the first paragraph. In an effort to remain current and give easy to follow content #vanlife will be the pretence by which I shall describe the continuing adventures of Tom's Thumb. The problem being that #vanlife is not an original concept, so if you were to search for this hashtag I could imagine that you'd clock up several thousand results. 


But the important thing is that I am one of them!




No longer will you read about the Manchester based prop maker and art director who waffles on about puppets and children's television. My blog is now dedicated to the new adventures of Tommy Grainger, the mysterious traveller who bought a van and is on route to make a new life in Portugal. 


But why Portugal? Why leave the UK at all? Who even am I? 


I shall not answer such questions in the introduction. I want to lure you back with promise of chapters, episodes and visual companionship that will not only explore my reasons for making this change, but also explore the beauty of the open road with nought but a van for a home. I do have my fiancé Lucy beside me in the passengers seat; heck this was her idea!




To move abroad, find a job and live a different lifestyle has been on the cusp of my mind for many years. It was something I would not only think about on a daily basis, but I would talk openly with my friends and family about it too. My family, who are currently spread all across the globe, have always been very pro-travelling and thus inspired me to literally follow whatever path I chose. 


My Mum and Dad have been truly amazing parents to me and my brother Harry; taking us on adventures in Borneo, Spain, Croatia and Canada. I then took things into my own hands by purchasing an around the world ticket to visit China, Thailand, Malaysia, Australia and New Zealand. Years later I would travel the wilds of South America with Lucy on a shoestring, and return Down Under to visit family and friends. Lucy and I even bought ourselves New Zealand working visas and began planning a major move to Auckland. But it wasn't meant to be and we remained in the UK until a new opportunity presented itself.


I do love travelling. It's part of who I am. And now I have the chance to take the ultimate adventure and drive off in a second-hand converted camper van leaving behind a perfectly good job and a perfectly good house to find something else. Something new. Something that no amount of planning or money can give you. 


Hopefully, as you read on, you will understand why this decision to leave the UK was made. I never like talking politics, but I can't pretend that Brexit had nothing to do with it. Because it did. The UK government has made life very difficult for me to want to live there anymore and I don't want to be a part of it. So I will talk (as briefly as I can) about Brexit, the economy, the transport system, general living, people's attitudes, and of course the weather. Who knows, I may even use caps lock to articulate my frustrated and emotional views. I promise that the blog won't contain too much of these issues because they are essentially my issues, and you want to read something a little more fun! But hey, if you can relate then perhaps we'll end up having an afternoon tipple of port by the beach whilst reminiscing about the woes of Great Britain. Because let's face it, wherever we are in the world we still love a bloody good moan.


So buckle up folks, it's going to be one hell of a joy ride. There'll be cancelled weddings, angry neighbours, and expensive breakdowns; all of which make up one of the most important and beautiful journeys that I have ever embarked upon. Just don't forget that hashtag...


 

Comments

  1. As they say in your beloved star trek "you do not just walk into the Force, for where we're going we don't need roads"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 105 'Back to the Future'

Episode 108 'A coleção de Lisboa'

Episode 107 'Exhibition of the Mind'